Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I am broke, and not sure why I went into planning

So I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life. I graduate in December and well, I'm broke. Employers from around the country are constantly calling trying to recruit me to move to some place where I don't know anyone and, after a bit of research, realize that i can't afford. So then I started thinking about getting a PhD. It's an option that will allow me to postpone adulthood for a few more years.

Then I start thinking about my current situation. I am working part-time on campus and by the time I pay my car payment and rent there is little, if anything, left over. So maybe i do need to get a job. But although I am pretty good at this Planning thing, I used this calculator on the website http://pricedoutreport.org/ . Basically it says that I better love my job as a planner but I should really consider getting a second job or third job because according to my anticipated salary I won't be able to afford a house.

So when I go out and tell "regular" people that we are planning for them, for their future, am I lying to them as well as to myself? At this rate I don't think I will be able to afford a clue, let alone a home.

1 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Iris Patten said...

But think about the purpose of the planner. Aren't we supposed to be the ones that establish the policies that make the urban environment livable? If we can't live in the environment that we establish or have helped to create are we doing our jobs? It seems to me like we are missing the boat on our purpose and we are failing as a profession.

Plus, why am I limiting my opportunity to only places that i can afford, versus selecting a job based upon the benefits of that job?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home